Monday, June 3, 2013

SAY CHEE-SU

I hate, HATE having my photo taken.  One day, someone looking back on my pictorial history will realize that there are whole years of my life in which my image has gone undocumented.  I wasn't abducted by aliens, nor was I on the lam.  I simply have a strong aversion to being on the lens side of the camera.  

So why, then, do I jump at the chance to have photos taken in Japan?  One word, a special circumstance: purikuraPurikura is, for lack of a more eloquent definition, a cracked out photo booth.  Located in malls and ear-splitting arcades are pods where you can step in, and for about $5 have a series of shots taken with your friends, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.  "But Edub, that's just a regular photo booth," you say.  Not so!  Unlike other photo booths where you're stuck with the zits on your face or that big tuft of hair sticking up from your head, purikura allows you to modify your pictures before printing them.  It's up to you to decide what finishing touches are needed.  A mustache? Cute hearts? A cow-print background? Go for it. Add it all.
My first purikura experience.
Purikura is more than just a fun souvenir from time at the mall; it's also a way to advertise your social life.  My students paste their photos to folders, binders, and even their pencil cases.  I see them examining them in class, or showing them off to their classmates- "This is my boyfriend," or "Look at my cute outfit!" The photos are also an indicator of the obsession with looks that pervades high schools and junior high schools.  The photo booth software automatically airbrushes and lightens your complexion, and allows you to make your eyes much, much bigger and rounder.  And there's some sort of function to make your lashes look darker and fuller, and your lips as though you put on a particularly fetching shade of lip gloss that morning (even if you're a guy).  Thus, you can always manage to look your best, if not most authentic, self. 

Next time you're in Japan, don't be shy.  Step confidently into that photo booth, turn on your biggest smile, and don't forget to flash that peace sign.  

Outside of one of the booths.
Inside one of the booths. 
Photo editing console.


No comments:

Post a Comment