Friday, January 11, 2013

YEAR OF THE SNAKE

And so the wheel of the zodiac turns, placing us firmly in the Year of the Snake.   Last year I detailed some of the traditions associated with Japanese new year: hatsumode (the first visit of the year to the local shrine), ritual cleaning of homes, and enthusiastic consumption of osechi ryori (traditional new years foods).


Mmm, osechi.  From kyotofoodie.com
This year I deprived myself of the Japanese new years traditions by being in the States for the holiday.  However, in talking to my Japanese friends about their vacations, I learned some great sayings.  First, kiteru ureshi, kaite ureshi, or "Glad to come, glad to leave," capturing the emotions of spending time with one's family.  Then there was mikka bouzu, which literally means "three day monk," and signifies someone who makes a decision to do something, but quickly forgets or loses their resolve after three days.  Many Japanese people decry resolution-making as a set up for being mikka bouzu.  

While discussing resolutions for 2013 with the grannies, they all spoke of an eagerness to enjoy themselves "in the twilight of my life," as one put it.  (Why they need me as an English teacher, I have no clue.)  On a whim, I decided to teach them the acronym "YOLO," or, "You Only Live Once."  I explained that many people employ YOLO as a mantra in their lives in terms of seizing opportunities and taking risks.  One of the grannies snorted with laughter and muttered something.  "What is it?" I asked her.  "Oh nothing," she said, a little sheepish, "YOLO sounds like yoroin."  The entire class erupted into laughter.  Yoroin means "nursing home" in Japanese.  

Of the many resolutions I heard for 2013, Paul related to me a clear winner.  "One of my students told me he wants to stop masturbating," he wrote.  "I hope he succeeds."

EQUAL RIGHTS IN JAPAN

Here is an interesting read on a relatively unknown hero, Beate Sirota Gordon, who drafted the language guaranteeing equal rights for women in the Japanese constitution, including the freedom to marry, the right to choose where they live, and the right to inherit property.  Gordon led a remarkable life, first growing up in Japan before coming to America to attend university.  She was one of 65 people in the United States who spoke Japanese at the time of the attacks at Pearl Harbor, and she was quickly enlisted to act as a translator for General MacArthur in Japan, making her the first female civilian American participating there.  


Gordon's efforts have empowered millions of women in Japan, but there are still issues to overcome.  Japan is still a male-dominated society.  There are few to no prominent female political or business leaders in the country.  The majority of my female students, when asked about their future plans, immediately talk about wanting to get married and have a family.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you talk to some of them, you get the distinct feeling that they regard this as their sole purpose in life.  Even though more and more women are eschewing marriage in order to pursue careers, it doesn't seem as though they are advancing in the way that their male peers do.  

Gordon died this week at the age of 89.  Her obituary from The New York Times is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment