Friday, May 24, 2013

STATUS UPDATES

One of the things I love most about living in Japan is the interactions I have with my students and fellow teachers.  And every so often, there's an incident that I feel compelled to share on Facebook.  Here are some of the latest and greatest:

First years had a quiz in which they had to write a short self introduction. Some winners:


"My parsonalty [personality] is silent." 

"I belong to the take pictures club. I am Lazy."

And, lest you ever felt self-conscious about your extracurricular choices in high school (brass band, drama club, mathletes, etc.), fear not.  From one student: "My hobby is practicing an abucus [sic] called "soroban" in Japan."  

Best party trick ever. 

-------

As I walked into school this morning, one of my favorite students rushed up to me, flailing her arms, saying, "Did you hear the news?!" Thinking something wonderful had happened to her, I asked what was up. "Maybe Justin and Selena got married!" she said, breathless. It took me almost a full minute to realize she meant Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez.

-------

Today second years studied the expression "It's all Greek to me." They were asked to write a short dialogue using the expression. Two girls wrote:

A: I want to go abroad this summer, but I'm worried.
B: Why are you worried?
A: Because it's all English to me!

-------

Foreign policy granny crowed to me last night about a return she got on a recent investment. I asked what she had invested in. "Dollars!" she said. "You mean you bought dollars?" I asked, a little shocked. "Yes! I bought dollars at 84 yen, and now it is 100 yen! Abe is great!"

I'm glad that she's getting joy from my pain.

-------

Was informed today that one of the teachers at my school harbors a dream of braiding my hair. That's a first.

-------

Second years were asked to give their advice on a number of problems. The prompt: I see my boyfriend talking a lot to a girl at our school. He says they are just friends, but I'm worried that he likes her more than me. What should I do?

Student's answer: "I think that she should have him fall in love more. For that, I think that she should make an effort. And then, let's grip his stomach with her dish!"

No comments:

Post a Comment